The transformation of marketing techniques that has taken place over the past few decades does not surprise me. As the documentary pointed out, simply advertising "the best ____" no longer suffices in this day in age. Today, information is too accessible for consumers to believe such general claims without looking into products themselves. Additionally, so many products are available and all of high quality standards, so more emphasis is put into the presentation of the product rather than the product itself.
As the documentary explained, one of these general techniques is creating a personal connection,
identity and devotion to a specific brand. I learned that examples of these are actually referred to as "lovemarks." Then, after some examples were given, I kept thinking of lovemarks in my life. I choose Asics running sneakers over any other brand. I haven't tried many other brands, but Asics is all about catering to a runner--not just any athlete: a personal connection is made, and I worship the brand as the best [even though I haven't even tried many others]. Folgers coffee has created a personal connection. Through their marketing methods, consuming Folgers coffee has transcended from just drinking a cup of coffee to taking a sip of glory and wonder that will make me feel at home, make me feel comforted, and make every morning feel delightfully sunny (just like the logo portrays). I devote myself to these kinds of brands because they are not just products--they are parts of myself and my life.Where are things headed in the future? What are some possible scenarios that could play out as far as the direction that future persuaders may take their marketing techniques.
In the future, I think that the persuasion method of product placement across media will become more and more popular. Companies seem to be finding it convenient and successful to integrade their brands and products into forms of media as either essential or subtle parts. However, I think the direction will also tend to integrate them as essential parts.
Some examples popped into my mind immediately when the documentary was discussing this marketing method. I thought of Kevin Smith movies,

No comments:
Post a Comment